Plastic is one of the most used materials in the world, and it is also one of the most polluting. The material gained its popularity due largely to its versatility. Plastic is used in almost every area in our lives – it houses our liquids and solids, stores our groceries, entertains our children and a whole lot more, however, the aid of plastic does come with a price. Plastic products are among the top landfill inhabitants because conventional plastic do not biodegrade – however, most plastics are recyclable. Instead of trashing your plastic, recycle them using your curbside pickup for number 1 and 2 plastics, and then Terracycle and Preserve Gimmie 5 for the rest. Plastic’s durability also makes it a good material for upcycling, if you are a crafter, you may enjoy the upcycling tutorials below.
10 Ways to Upcycle your Plastic Waste:
1. Transform a plastic lotion bottle into this cute charging cell phone holder. Visit Make it & Love it for the tutorial.
2. Love to crochet? Well Country Woman shares how to use plastic bags to create these adorable coasters.
3. This chic jewelry stand is made from plastic mountain dew bottles. Visit EPBOT for the tutorial.
4. This PET fruit bowl will love great on any table. Get the tutorial on Instructables.
5. This plastic bottle zipper container by PopSugar is the perfect Knick Knack holder.
6. Get your kids in on the upcycling fun with these adorable milk jug window crafts by Alpha Mom.
7. Wouldn’t you love to store your goods in this cute fused plastic bag tote by Sara vs. Sarah.
8. Moiroccon’s Shinies shares a great tutorial for this whimsical bowl using plastic toy soldiers.
9. These upcycled apple treat cups by Saved by Love Creations is great for storing party favors.
10. Visit Sugar and Snails to learn how to make these cute plastic bag rosettes.